Grading papers.
My student papers sit there. Better yet, composed words lay there in complex and complicated order. Sometimes, in an order that makes me put my head to the desk. They exist either physically or as a bunch of numbers and code somewhere on the complex formations of internet existence in Google Classroom.
Either way, it's a daunting task, kind of like a cloud that blocks out the light: there to create a comfy shade to read a book in, but one that also makes the world a little more dreary. It's a task that I tell myself that I will get to... once this... thing I had planned for Monday is formed.
I plan Monday, and I plan Tuesday.
I stare blankly at a screen. Hit classwork. Oh yeah. Those essays I pretend to forget about.
I know the papers exist... but bringing myself to grade them? I'd rather study geometry.
FINE, I tell the angel teacher inside of me. I want to see my students showcase their skills. It even (Nerd) excites me. So why is it like solving the area of a square to get me to do it?
I get started, commenting and highlighting, leaving comments where necessary. It's really not that bad. I question why the heck I would leave this task off. Some essays leave me scratching my head, but others lead me to doing cartwheels of excitement in my head.
Then I come across something rather special:
Jones BBQ and Foot Message
Uhhh what? I have to die. As in, die laughing. I am dead.
If you are staring at that, blankly, confused, you may not understand the YouTube reference. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkMUU9tUqk
And if you are watching that for the first time, you might want to watch this video because it is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0gb9v4LI4o
Are you kidding me? A pop culture reference as the title of this students' essay? THIS ESSAY IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT ROMEO AND JULIET. Not only this, but we talked about MLA format, and it is in curly, scripty font, with the added touch of bolding.
Now don't get me wrong, I know this student, and he is rather goofy. And I say goofy as in the other day while standing out in the hall, I peered in to see him humping the air to move his chair thinking no one was looking. I can't help but remember: he is smart. He is a natural leader with his peers, socially.
But does any of this excuse the fact he included a goofy title? On his academic argument essay.
I left his essay sitting there and decided to grade other papers. Other papers became all the rest of the papers.
Read on, Madie. I know you are confused. The right comments to leave to him will come to you.
And they did. Like keyboard vomit.
I decided the best way to approach this "I scream I am a freshman" essay was to play with my words in a way that helped him learn that what he did is probably not appropriate in an academic essay, while not discouraging him. I started with his name. Then, I preceded to talk about his humor and explaining that humor has a time and a place. Within an academic essay, I need a bit of formality. I need to know he understands Romeo and Juliet and not Youtube videos... because anyone can. I complimented specific parts of the essay where his academic prowess shined. It was difficult, but the words just escaped when I put my fingers to the keyboard.
So next time I sit with essays in front of me, I will look for a gem like this student's essay. The laughs... they keep us going. Even if we really do not know how to approach the task at hand.
Madie,
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA! This was great! I had a funny moment in class today while my students were typing their narratives. I walked passed a student as she was typing and she said to me, "Why do we have to double space?" I was confused because she did not even have an entire sentence on her page, and that is when I realized she was hitting the space bar twice in between each word she typed! These are honors sophomores! I too had to say to myself, "She is smart." Thanks for sharing the funnies, they are my favorite.
Love this!! Thanks for sharing your grading adventures, Ms. Loomis! It sounds like you approached this student’s work with the right amount of humor and encouragement. And remember, when you find the gems, copy them for yourself for future reference—and to share as exemplars with the class (including in the student’s class with his permission). Teach on, Ms. Loomis!
ReplyDeleteMadie, this was hilarious! I laughed so hard! These are the gems of grading that make it easier to keep going. Thanks for detailing your commenting process. Your encouraging words about humor and not squashing his appreciation for the funny is encouraging to me too! I loved this piece, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete