Skip to main content

KATE Conference Reflection


As part of our professional development, students in Core 3 were asked to attend the KATE conference at the Marriott this year. This conference consisted of multiple breakout sessions and keynote addresses from Sarah Smarsh and Michelle Cuevas. I put on my slacks and laced my Sperry's - I was ready to grow as a professional.

Erin Downey Howerton initiated the conference following a breakfast filled with fruit and bagels. She discussed many different books flying off of her shelves at the public library from all different genres. I found this presentation very exciting because it was like getting multiple book talks that ignited curiosity in my own reading life - I had some students in mind from my placement for some of the texts too. I found her examples of graphic novels very intriguing; students at my placement LOVE graphic novels. I was excited to learn more about a few titles that I could in turn recommend and read myself.

I also attended many breakout sessions. One of them that impacted my learning the most was a session by Abigail Crane that focused on "Meta-cognition and the Self-Differential Classroom." Crane presented many different learning aspects that I did not even think of prior to entering the room. She introduced the concept of allowing students the option to decide how they wanted to write or answer prompts. She includes a Quick Write option, a Quick Write but start with the topic sentence of the template, and a template to fill in. Students in her classroom are allowed to decide which way they want to learn that day. If they finish early, she challenges them to try the Quick Write option. I found myself wanting to try her mini-lesson in my own classroom. I did not realize that providing options to our students helps them make the most out of their education. I took the most from this session.

Unfortunately, Sarah Smarsh could not attend the conference, but excerpts from her novel were still read aloud. These read-alouds grew my interest in her novel, "Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being  Broke in the Richest Country on Earth." I thought it was something I would not be interested in, but her writing style pulled me into her emotion-packed memoir. I think I will pick up a copy of this text for sure.

This conference was a fun, engaging opportunity that I was glad to be a part of. I wish I would have done some more networking. Hopefully, I can return as an educator instead of a student so I don't have to worry about any other work commitments. Plus, the we had cake was pretty delicious. Never pass up an opportunity for cake.  

Comments

  1. Madie,

    It seem like you enjoyed your learning experience from attending the KATE conference. It sounds like having the librarian speak was a beneficial tool for you and our peers - I'm curious as to what books she recommended, including the graphic novels! I love the fact that you were thinking of your students when she was discussing books, it seems as though your head is in the right place when considering books for particular students rather than thinking of yourself when it comes to what books enter your classroom. That's awesome! The session you attended was popular amongst our peers to visit, I would love to see your notes/handouts for this session to know more about this!

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    Kassidy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post, Madie! I hope you’ll consider attending (or presenting at) future KATE Conferences!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to my Former Self

Dear Madie, I know you've just left your adviser's office at the university, headphones in, and you're internally processing the huge switch you just made in your college career. Graphic design to teaching? Big switch from what you always thought you were going to do. Your brain is clouded with uncertainty, insecurity - you're scared, but you're heading the right direction. But I can't lie to you. Things are really going to suck for awhile. Honestly, it's going to be the hardest thing you've faced in your life - waking up one day to lose your dad - never forgetting how that day felt, moving, taking care of your mom, figuring out your finances - you're going to feel your grades slip. Everything will feel like its crashing down around you - you're scared, but you're heading the right direction. And on top of that, you're going to feel very awkward and insecure for awhile. You'll stutter in front of large groups of people. You...

Language Acquisition

Sometimes English gets complicated enough for someone who has always spoken the language. I am going to be an English teacher, and sometimes I question if something I have written or said is right. Now, think of someone coming into this world of pronouns and irregular tenses. Enough to frustrate anyone, right? I think this is one of these things as a new educator that has fallen into the... *dreaded* blind spot. My brain is jumping from task to task that I forget that students out there aren’t just struggling with the words to say, they are struggling concept of symbolism, on a deeper level . Deeper than symbolism? They are still grappling with the language on top of these ridiculous things English teachers ask them to do with their novel. Colorin Colorado provides a very informative overview of language acquisition: http://www.colorincolorado.org/article/language-acquisition-overview#h-stages-of-language-acquisition . If you’ve ever taken a linguistics course, s...