Skip to main content

Online Reflection #2: Coping with Amateur Anxiety


My anxiety lately:
How can I be the best me I can be, but still be content with my failures?
I don’t want to let my students down, but do any of us want that?
This semester I am taking a lot of teaching classes all at once. I am classes regarding adolescent literature, theory and practice in composition, literacy strategies, and a methods course. I have found that taking all these classes together right now has been very helpful in connecting some of the same schools of thought with different texts and strategies. Last week most of my courses were focused on questioning techniques all at the same time. Sometimes it can be incredibly helpful to have all the different ideas of teaching all in conversation with each other. I feel like a big light bulb appears over my head when it all just clicks. Other times, my brain is working so hard to connect it all that I just get so confused and feel like my brain runs in continuous circles. Does anyone else feel like this? Like, there’s this huge hunger of mine to be as successful and effective as I can, but sometimes I get so confused on how I want to implement my ideas. My mind runs in circles and circles. I mean, most of it is right there in front of my face in my textbooks and the secondary resources, so why am I getting confused? Why do I feel myself questioning everything? Is this healthy?
Reading a text like When Kids Can’t Read: What Teachers Can Do helps reassure me that not everyone is perfect though, and that I’m going to make mistakes. I think this is honestly my favorite text from this semester. How do I build this contentment in failure like Beers does though? She is so humble about it, but so proactive about changing at the same time. My MT kind of helped me through this struggle this week. She realized that using a mentor text for her freshman greatly improved the results of her writing assignment. She told me she felt bad that for as long as she had been teaching, she just now implemented a strategy that worked well. She had felt like she failed all students prior. It seems like this is something all teachers face. I think it was really inspiring for me to see her go through this when it’s something I’m so nervous about myself. She was able to swallow the pill, and realize she just needed to tell her colleagues and they could all grow from it. I now realize how important peers can be in the whole teaching process. Maybe it’s okay to make mistakes if we grow from them, but this is way harder said than done.
 As I begin planning my first small unit to teach to a classroom of freshmen, nerves have me overwhelmed. I really want to apply all that I am learning. I want to ask effective questions rather than ones that scratch the surface. I’ve been taking tiny sips of what I read and slowly applying it to the classroom. Trying to ask questions in ways that promote a deeper connection to the content that really force these students to comprehend what my MT is trying to get across. I find that it is easier to connect the reading when I do it first-hand in the classroom. I'm really able to harness that light bulb moment better. I hope to keep sharing these connections with you all! Especially as some of these planning processes for the unit become more concrete! 

Comments

  1. Madie, I love the realness you share. I can relate in that anxiety gets me at times too. I think we want so badly to be good and effective that we work ourselves into a frenzy. I tell myself this is common so as to not stress myself out more. Ha! Hopefully that's helping.

    I think that you have it partly figured out though. Taking in small sips of information at a time will assist in not feeling too overwhelmed. You are taking several content area classes this semester. They are excellent classes, but can be a lot to take in all at once. I took Theory and Practice and Adolescent Lit in previous semesters so I can only imagine the work load you are taking on right now, but like I said before, it sounds like you are on the right track for getting a system down and staying on top of it. I commend you for doing all of this successfully. You go, girl!

    I'll leave you with something a seasoned teacher told me awhile back: She said that her first year teaching she felt like she didn't teach one child. Of course, that's not true, and today she is an excellent teacher, but her point was that we all worry about the impact we have and rather we are effective or not and in the moment think maybe we aren't doing well. While it is stressful, it shows we care, and continue to strive for greatness. Keep on striving, Madie, and know that you are not alone. We can do this. We will do this. We got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Beautiful and true. Thank you for sharing these words of encouragement, Candice.

      Delete
  2. Madie,

    You are rocking it, even though it does seem difficult to manage everything at once! Taking all of those classes is quite a lot to balance at the same time, but they are crucial for our learning as future educators! However, you're right about Beers being a beneficial text for us during this time, it demonstrates how it is okay to make mistakes and even own up to them. My MT shared with me that for the first year of teaching, it was chaos. The second year was another attempt to figure out what else to try out within the classroom. But the third year was when everything was calm and smooth for her. Granted, this may not be us for our first years of teaching, but I think everyone's beginning story is different, and that is totally okay.

    It is super beneficial that we are not alone in this process, our group is great with leaning on each other and helping one another out as we finish this final year together. We got this! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this honest post, Madie. Like Candice said, the anxiety you’re feeling shows that you care. And you’re not alone in that feeling. You’re soaking up so much information regarding pedagogy and content, and it’s hard to keep it all pinned down into a manageable plan of action. Here’s something I’ve been trying when I am in the process of soaking up and synthesizing:

    1. Find a spot in your notebook (or Word/Google Doc) where you briefly bullet point ideas you want to definitely come back to and use.

    2. Note the source of that idea, so you can easily locate further detail when you do come back to it.

    3. Take one step at a time, or as you said, small sips. You don’t have to implement everything at once. Just try one new idea/technique, and see how it goes. Your list of ideas is like your Writing or Reading Territories. You’re not writing and reading everything simultaneously. It’s a space to come back to when you’re looking for inspiration.

    I hope this helps. Keep up the great work, Madie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madie,
    I don't think you should feel nearly as overwhelmed as you are. We are all there with you, buddy! If you ever feel like you can never do enough for your students, it's because you can't. But what you can do is be the best teacher of English that those freshmen have ever seen. The biggest part I think about is the fact that in a few years, we're going to have so many sticky situations and shotty moments under our belts that we'll feel so naive when we look back at our struggles from Core 3. We are going to learn so much with this internship opportunity and the best part is that we'll already have had the opportunity to get to know our students!
    It's important to keep in mind that we can only do so much, but what do can with that can have a huge impact on our students. You are going to be an awesome teacher, and you need more confidence! You're really funny during class, and you're going to have an amazing relationship with your students. Just Keep Going Girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KATE Conference Reflection

As part of our professional development, students in Core 3 were asked to attend the KATE conference at the Marriott this year. This conference consisted of multiple breakout sessions and keynote addresses from Sarah Smarsh and Michelle Cuevas. I put on my slacks and laced my Sperry's - I was ready to grow as a professional. Erin Downey Howerton initiated the conference following a breakfast filled with fruit and bagels. She discussed many different books flying off of her shelves at the public library from all different genres. I found this presentation very exciting because it was like getting multiple book talks that ignited curiosity in my own reading life - I had some students in mind from my placement for some of the texts too. I found her examples of graphic novels very intriguing; students at my placement LOVE graphic novels. I was excited to learn more about a few titles that I could in turn recommend and read myself. I also attended many breakout sessions. One of...

Letter to my Former Self

Dear Madie, I know you've just left your adviser's office at the university, headphones in, and you're internally processing the huge switch you just made in your college career. Graphic design to teaching? Big switch from what you always thought you were going to do. Your brain is clouded with uncertainty, insecurity - you're scared, but you're heading the right direction. But I can't lie to you. Things are really going to suck for awhile. Honestly, it's going to be the hardest thing you've faced in your life - waking up one day to lose your dad - never forgetting how that day felt, moving, taking care of your mom, figuring out your finances - you're going to feel your grades slip. Everything will feel like its crashing down around you - you're scared, but you're heading the right direction. And on top of that, you're going to feel very awkward and insecure for awhile. You'll stutter in front of large groups of people. You...

Language Acquisition

Sometimes English gets complicated enough for someone who has always spoken the language. I am going to be an English teacher, and sometimes I question if something I have written or said is right. Now, think of someone coming into this world of pronouns and irregular tenses. Enough to frustrate anyone, right? I think this is one of these things as a new educator that has fallen into the... *dreaded* blind spot. My brain is jumping from task to task that I forget that students out there aren’t just struggling with the words to say, they are struggling concept of symbolism, on a deeper level . Deeper than symbolism? They are still grappling with the language on top of these ridiculous things English teachers ask them to do with their novel. Colorin Colorado provides a very informative overview of language acquisition: http://www.colorincolorado.org/article/language-acquisition-overview#h-stages-of-language-acquisition . If you’ve ever taken a linguistics course, s...